Note: As FaceTime uses the front camera, the only iPhone that can currently use it is the iPhone 4.
Making a FaceTime call:
- Click the Phone icon
- Touch the Contacts list and go to the entry for the person you want to call
- Press the FaceTime button
You can also turn an ordinary phone call into a FaceTime call:
- During a call, press the FaceTime icon
- The other person will receive an invitation which they need to accept
Note: In order to make a FaceTime call, both users must have a compatible device.
FaceTime option not displaying:
- Click Settings
- Choose General
- Make sure the FaceTime switch is set to On
- Return to the Settings menu
- Select Phone
- Turn FaceTime on. If it is already on, turn it off and on again
- Turn the iPhone off then on again
Following these steps resolves most users' issues with FaceTime.
Depending on what type of device you are trying to contact, you will need different information. iPhone 4 contacts need the phone number. iPad 2, iPod Touch and Mac contacts need the email address. Hint: for iPhone contacts, ensure the number is listed as iPhone, not Mobile or Home.
At the moment, FaceTime will only work when both users are connected via Wi-Fi. You cannot make FaceTime calls via 3G networks yet.