A printer driver is a piece of software which connects the printer to the computer and enables the two pieces of equipment to work together.
When you buy a printer you need to download the most up-to-date driver from the printer manufacturer's website. Out-of-date drivers can stop your printer working properly so make sure you have the latest software. Downloading a printer driver:
- Install the printer as per the instruction manual
- Find out the type of printer you have and its model number (in the instruction book or on the printer itself)
- Find out what Operating System you're running on your computer - go to My Computer > View System Information
- Log onto your printer manufacturer's website
- Look for downloads, software support or support
- If you can't find where to download drivers from go into the search box and type in driver downloads
- Find the driver that matches your printer name/model number and Operating System
- Click Download Software and it will automatically install.
- After the driver has downloaded, plug in your printer and on your computer go to Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware
- Reboot your computer
- Print a test page to make sure your printer is working