There are a number of reasons that could cause a Kindle to crash - the most common is that the battery doesn't have enough charge to refresh the page or that too many buttons have been pressed at the same time which interferes with the memory.
It might also freeze if you have downloaded a lot of books or a very large book and you interrupt it while it's indexing.
Troubleshooting a frozen Kindle
- Slide and release the power button
- The light surrounding the power button will go green for two seconds
- Shut down the Kindle by sliding and holding the power button for five seconds - the light should blink three times
- When the screen goes blank, release the power button
- Turn on the Kindle by sliding and releasing the power button
If your Kindle is still not working, you can perform a hard reset by sliding and holding the power button for 20 seconds.
Still not working?
Try the above steps with it plugged into the charger.