You can convert all the most common video files (ending with AVI, wmv, asf, mpg, mpeg, mkv, 3gp, dmf, divx, and flv) by following the steps below:
- Get the Air Video App from iTunes App Store (or try the free version first)
- Download and install the Air Video server software to your computer
- Now open the Air Video App on you iPad and add your computer server that contains the files you want to convert (the Air Video software must be running on your computer to connect)
- Once detected, you can now browse your server and open then play/convert the files you want to view
- Once convertion is complete, your videos can then be added to your iTunes library
How to enable remote connection in Air Video Server
If you don't want to use up space on your iPhone or iPad, you can also view your videos remotely over the internet.
1. Go to Air Video Server preferences Remote tab.
2. Make sure that the Enable Access from Internet checkbox is enabled.
3. Make sure that the Automatically Map Port checkbox is enabled.
4. Click the Test Connection button to see if access from internet works for your setup. If you get any error you can look in the Remote Support log (can be found in Logs tab) to see reason of the problem.
Note that if the connection test fails you will not be able to connect to your computer from internet. Connecting from local network will still work though.