The Kinect for Xbox 360 was released in 2010 and was the first gadget that allowed you to play without any controllers - you just move your body around.
Manufactured by Microsoft, it is renowned for high definition game playing and movies. Games specially designed for the Xbox 360 feature cinematic-like graphics and full surround sound. You can buy the Xbox 360 as a core or full system.
- The Core system is more affordable while the Full system comes with extra features including a 20 gigabyte hard drive for storing files.
- Music and picture files stored on the Xbox 360 can be viewed using Microsoft Windows, and the console can also be connected to the internet via broadband for downloading game demos and playing online multi-player games.
- You can play against other gamers using Xbox LIVE, after paying a membership fee.
One of the newest and high tech games consoles available, the Playstation 3 has a high definition BluRay disc player.
About the Playstation 3
- The PS3 has a 60 gigabyte hard drive which stores video, music and game information
- Graphics are crisp and clear
- Wireless internet connection allows for multi-player gaming and online entertainment
- Playstation's Move lets gamers play with wireless controllers
Launched in 2006, the Wii is compact, stylish and is backwards compatible, so you can play games designed for Nintendo's previous games console, the Gamecube. The Wii video game console is built around the experience of the Wii remote, a Bluetooth-wireless, motion-sensitive controller that can be used in a variety of ways. You can buy the console with Wii Sports video game, a collection of sports like bowling, tennis and baseball.
About the Wii:
- Currently one of the most affordable quality games consoles available
- Uses 512 MB of internal flash memory to enhance game play
- Two USB ports for improved connectivity to other devices and a built-in WiFi system for connecting to other devices wirelessly.
- Simple to use (once got over the learning curve of using the Wii controllers) so good for families and beginners
Nintendo DS, DS Lite and 3DS
The DS is portable and slim with two bright screens you can draw directly on using a stylus.
- Good battery life - the Lite will last 15-19 hours on the lowest setting and 5 - 8 hours on the brightest
- You can send your messages or pictures to other devices wirelessly
- Stereo sound and a headphone option
- Takes three hours to charge the battery if you are not playing it at the same time
- Weighs 260g and has a high quality 4.3 inch screen
- Can use the PSP to play music and watch movies while on the move.
- If you use the PSP near an internet wireless access area you can download game content straight to the PSP or play games online.
- Battery life lasts up to six hours
The new handheld Vita was released 2012. It has a touchscreen on the front and a touchpad controller on the back and is the most powerful handheld console to date.