G-mail uses a service called Google Sync to merge mobile and e-mail contacts. Google Sync works with the iPhone, Nokia, Windows, Blackberry and most other smartphones, but some of the earlier mobile handsets may not be compatible. The iPhone can use Google Sync to merge contacts from any e-mail account (and not just from Gmail contacts).
From the main Google Sync homepage, choose your handset from the list:
Check you have the right iPhone operating system (it needs to be version 3.0 or later):
- From the main iPhone menu, select Settings
- Choose General
- Click on About, followed by Version
- To upgrade your operating system from an earlier version, click here.
- Backup the latest changes to your iPhone contacts - run a quick sync in iTunes to backup the latest changes
- Go back to the main menu, and find Settings again
- Open Mail, followed by Contacts and then Calendars
- Select Add Account
- Select Microsoft Exchange (this program is a cloud data exchange and e-mail hosting service), or, if you have a Yahoo Mail or an AOL account, choose them instead.
- From here, enter your login details for your e-mail account (don't worry about the field marked as 'Domain')
- Press Next
- If a pop-up appears, claiming that it is Unable to verify the certificate, hit Cancel
- The next stage is very similar to the previous step - enter your username
- For the Server field, type in: m.google.com, then press Next
- Choose the data you would like to sync from your iPhone to your e-mail account
The next steps are very important:
- ONE: Check the box marked Keep on my iPhone
- TWO: When prompted, select Delete Existing Contacts. If you don't agree to delete, your contacts lists will not be merged
- THREE: Check that your contacts have synced. If the lists have not merged, you may need to enable Push on your iPhone.
- Once Push has been enabled, your contact information should be synced.
- Google Sync will update wirelessly, so if you change a contact detail on your iPhone, this should be automatically amended in your e-mail account