Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free antivirus software product for Microsoft Windows operating systems that provides protection against different types of malware such as viruses, spyware and Trojan horses.
Working with other free Microsoft security products such as Windows Firewall and Parental Controls it gives comprehensive protection.
About Microsoft Security Essentials
Like any typical security tool, Microsoft Security Essentials can scan your system in three ways:
- Full scan, which checks your entire system
- Quick scan, which looks in places where malware typically likes to hide
- Customized scan, which lets you select the folders and files to check
You can choose when you want the scan to run or have the scan run only when the PC is on but not being used.
Reviewers rate MSE because it is unobtrusive and runs quietly in the background only alerting you when a problem is found.
If malware is detected, an alert will pop up asking if you want to remove the threat or get more details on it. You can decide what to do to deal with the potential risk: remove it or allow it if you know it to be safe.
For the free download of Microsoft Security Essentials, click here.
- Before full installation, the software will check you're running a legal copy of Windows
- You will then be prompted to remove any other anti-malware tools that may conflict with Security Essentials
- The installation will then give you the option to scan your computer and the software will also download the latest updates
Do I need Microsoft Security Essentials?
If you don't want to pay for security software, MSE is rated as a good, safe option to protect your computer. There are other free anti-virus software solutions such as AVG and Avast!
Click here for more information on why you may want to opt for paid-for software.
Microsoft Security Essentials is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7-both 32-bit and 64-bit editions, Windows 8 -and supports Windows XP mode in Windows 7 and 8.