The following steps should help you get your iPad synced to iTunes:
- Check you have the latest version of iTunes installed: http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/
- Check you have connected your iPad to your computer using a USB 2.0 port
- Make sure your iPad software is up to date: With your iPad connected to your computer, click Check for Update in the 'Summary' section of iTunes
- Charge your battery: Using the 10W USB power adapter that came with the iPad, charge it for at least 20 minutes
If your iPad doesn't appear in iTunes or you can't sync the iPad:
- Disconnect other USB devices from your computer and connect your iPad to a different USB port on your computer
- Turn the iPad off and turn it on again
- Press and hold the Sleep / Wake button on top of iPad for a few seconds, until a red slider appears on screen. Slide the slider, then press and hold the Sleep / Wake button until the Apple logo appears.
- Restart your computer
- Reconnect the iPad to your computer
- Download and install (or reinstall) the latest version of iTunes
If the issue persists, refer to http://www.apple.com/support/ipad.