- What is the Knowhow Desktop Software?
- I think there is a problem with my Knowhow Cloud Software, what is the first thing I should do?
- How do I report a problem with the Knowhow Desktop Software?
- How can I tell what the Knowhow Cloud software is doing?
- How can I stop the Knowhow application?
- How can I view or edit documents through the web portal?
- Can the Desktop Software run from a FAT32 drive?
- Why doesn't Knowhow Cloud do anything overnight?
- Can Knowhow Cloud work when my computer is off?
- How can I check for updates?
- What do I do if the status window shows an error in Windows?
- I've tried to update my Windows desktop software, but I get the error: Cannot find updater application
The Knowhow Desktop Software makes using the Knowhow Cloud easy!
It works in the background to protect files while you work.
- For Knowhow Briefcase customers, it adds a new drive to your computer - the Briefcase drive - where you can access your stored files on and offline.
- For Knowhow Business customers, the Desktop Software powers your business cloud storage, providing easy access to your personal Briefcases and Team Folders.
The Knowhow Control Panel has a built in repair tool that detects and fixes any problems that may occur.
To run the repair tool:
- Launch the Knowhow Control Panel (from the shortcut on your desktop)
- Select the Advanced tab
- Open the Maintenance tab
- Click Run
NB: The repair tool takes around 15 minutes to complete and the machine must be left idle while repairs are carried out.
If you think you've found a problem with the Knowhow Desktop Software, please report it from the software itself:
- Go to your Windows Control Panel
- Double-click on the Livedrive icon
- Find the Livedrive Account tab
- Select Report Problem
You can see the current status of Knowhow:
On a Windows PC
- Right-click the Livedrive icon
- Select Detailed Status
On a Mac
- Click the Livedrive icon
- Select Detailed Status
The Status queue shows:
- The number of currently being scanned
- The number of files due for upload to our servers
- The number of files due for update
The Upload queue shows:
- The number of files due for upload
The Download queue shows:
- The number of files currently being downloading from the data centre to your local cache
NB: You don't have to store cloud files on your local hard drive if you are short on storage space. To change your storage settings:
- Open the Knowhow Control Panel
- Go to Online Files
- Select to not store files locally
- Open the Knowhow control panel
- Open the Accounts tab
- Click Stop Livedrive
NB: To re-start Knowhow:
- Click the text that says Livedrive is not running (Click here to start Livedrive)
NB: if you wish to stop Knowhow Cloud, you may wish to simply change the bandwidth instead.
You can only edit documents in the Briefcase, but you can view documents through Backup and Briefcase.
Knowhow uses various 3rd party applications so that you can view and edit your documents.
Note: These applications are only for updating existing documents and you cannot save a file with a new name.
For text and Office documents we use:
- Scribd - allows you to view documents
- Zoho - allows you to edit text and Office documents. Please note that it isn't possible to modify Excel 2010 documents, i.e. .xlsx
For image files we use:
- FotoFlexer - allows you to view and edit your images
- Picnik - allows you to view and edit your images
You can find more information on how to edit your photos and files online in the How to use Knowhow Cloud article.
Drives can be configured in many different formats. Most modern drives are configured in a format called NTFS, but some drives use a much older format called FAT32.
Although the Knowhow Desktop Software can be configured to store its cache on a FAT32 drive, it is recommended that you use an NTFS-formatted drive instead if possible.
This is because the Knowhow Desktop Software stores information about your files in a folder on your chosen cache drive, and FAT32 is limited to 15,000 files per folder. This means that if you put a lot of files on your Briefcase, or backup a large number of files with Backup, then the Knowhow Desktop Software will stop syncing correctly.
The Knowhow Cloud software can only run on your machine when it is turned on. It won't work when the machine is off or in standby mode.
Please ensure that your computer is able to stay on overnight in order to allow the synchronisation of files (in Backup or Briefcase) to complete.
To make sure you have the latest version of the cloud desktop software:
- Open the Livedrive Control Panel (Start > Programs > Livedrive)
- Select the Updates tab
- Click on Check for updates
- If a new update is available click on Update now
- Note: If you decide to update now, please ensure you close all programs including any web pages that might be open
This relates to the display of the status window, it will have no adverse effect on file transfers.
To fix this issue, simply close and re-open the status window.
I've tried to update my Windows desktop software, but I get the error: Cannot find updater application
- Please download the latest version of our software from our website by www.livedrive.com/updateme. There is no need to uninstall the current version of Knowhow before installing the new version.
- Once the software has updated, run the downloaded application
NB: The new software will install over the top of your existing software. All your files and settings will be kept as they are.