There are two ways to get Microsoft office:
- Purchase a product key card
- Purchase a Microsoft Office DVD
Product Key Card
If you have a trial version of Office pre-installed on your PC, you can purchase a product key card and upgrade to the full version.
This is a card with a 25 digit code on it. When the trial version of Microsoft Office asks you to activate, you simply enter the code from this card. Your copy of Microsoft Office is then activated and ready to use.
Microsoft Office DVD
You can purchase a complete version of Microsoft Office on DVD and install it onto your PC. Before installing Microsoft Office from DVD, check the following:
- Is there already another version of Microsoft Office installed on your PC? For example, a trial version. Make sure you uninstall these before installing Microsoft Office from DVD.
To install Office from DVD:
- Turn on your PC
- Insert the disc and then follow the on-screen instructions
- You'll need to input the product key that comes with the disc during the install but once this is done Microsoft Office should be up and running
Setting up Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Edition
Press Start and type office into the search bar
- If you're prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Allow
- From the Programs section, click on Microsoft Office 2010
You'll be shown three options:
- Choose Activate if you purchased the Microsoft Office 2012 Suite with your computer. Follow the on-screen prompts to validate it.
- Choose Purchase if you need to buy Office 2012 (make sure you have an internet connection before clicking)
Choose Use if you would like to try out Office 2010 Starter Edition before purchasing the full version of Office
Click Open and Office Starter 2010 installation begins
Installation shouldn't take long, but does depend on the speed of your computer
You'll now find Microsoft Excel Starter 2010 and Microsoft Word Starter 2010 in your All Programs menu under Microsoft Office Starter (English)
The first time you open Microsoft Excel Starter 2010 or Microsoft Word Starter 2010 you'll be asked a few questions. First, enter your full name and initials into the boxes provided and click OK.
Next, click Use Recommended Settings to keep Office Starter 2010 current with important and recommended updates
Finally you need to choose your default file types. Choose Office Open XML formats to utilise the full power of Microsoft Office 2010
You're now ready to use the latest Office software. Remember that not everyone is as technologically advanced as you and may not have Office 2010, so if you're saving a file for someone else try saving it in a format that works with earlier versions - e.g. a .DOC file.