If a simple reboot of the system doesn’t dramatically improve performance, then try the Microsoft Fix it tool:
Download and run the Microsoft Fix it tool:
- If prompted by User Account Control allow Mats_Run.performance.exe to run by clicking Yes
- Review the Microsoft license agreement and click Accept to continue
- Click Detect problems and apply the fixes for me
- If the fix it tool prompts you to configure programs to improve startup performance, click the Start System Configuration button.
Click for more information on How to use the System Configuration utility in Microsoft Windows 7
This tool will check the following:
- If the power plan is set to power saver
- Is more than one user is logged on to the computer?
- Are multiple anti-virus programs running?
- Are there several unnecessary programs running when Windows starts?
- Running advanced visual effects (like Vista transparency)and running multiple programs at once may affect performance
There are many reasons why your computer is running slowly, and the symptoms will depend on what course of action to take. Knowhow offer a free PC diagnostic tool that scans your computer for problems that may be causing it to slowdown;. For more information, click on the link below: