Before starting this process, make a backup of everything on your old hard disk. The PS3 has a built-in utility to help you do this.
- This link below will let you Knowhow: PS3 Backup Utility
You will need a 2.5 inch internal hard disk with a Serial ATA interface. These are available from good computer shops. Although most hard disks with these specifications will work with the PS3, Sony does not guarantee all do.
You will need to install software on your new drive at the end of this process. You will need a memory stick, a blank CD or a blank DVD to do this.
Installing the drive:
- Turn the Playstation 3 off and unplug it
- Remove all cables from the console
- Open the plastic flap over the hard disk. This is on the left-hand-side of the PS3
- If this is hard to remove, use a flat-head screwdriver on the left of the flap to gently lever it open
- Use the correct sized Phillips screwdriver to remove the blue screw.
- If there is a latch on the hard disk, pull it open
- Slide the hard disk out. You may have to move it to the right or left to do this
- Using the right size of Phillips screwdriver, carefully remove the four screws on the hard disk tray
- Remove the old hard disk from the tray
- Put your new hard drive into the tray - make sure it faces the same way as the old one
- Replace and carefully tighten the four screws to hold the drive in the tray
- Slide the tray back into the console, moving it left or right as needed
- Close the latch if there is one
- Replace and carefully tighten the blue screw
- Put the plastic cover back on
Formatting the drive:
- On your computer, visit the following website: http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/
- Select the latest update and follow the on-screen instructions to download
- Insert a blank CD, DVD or USB memory stick into the computer
- Your storage device will need about 200MB of free space
- On your computer, create an empty folder called PS3
- In the new PS3 folder, create another empty folder called UPDATE
- Copy the system software you downloaded into the UPDATE folder
- Burn the folders and files onto your storage device. Ensure you keep the UPDATE folder inside the PS3 one.
- Turn on your PS3.
- Insert your storage device.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to format the disk and get it ready for use.
If you created a backup of the data from your old drive you can restore it now; our article on the PS3 Backup Utility will show you how. Congratulations! Your new hard disk is installed and ready for use. Now you’ve got so much space to fill, you’ll need to free up even more time to spend with your PS3.
Always refer to the manufacturer’s manual for specific details.