The reason we brush and floss our teeth is to reduce the number of bacteria, which feed on the food particles left on our teeth. The bacteria, found in a mesh of mucus and debris known as plaque, give off acid that eats into our tooth cavities.
Plaque is removed by regular brushing but flossing is important as it takes away the bacteria hidden between the teeth. Just brushing is like washing only 65% of your body and leaving the other 35% dirty. In time tartar can form, gums can inflame and disease can spread through the gums and teeth causing them to fall out.
How to floss:
- Choose a floss with fluoride and one to suit your teeth
- Measure an arms length of floss, about 18 inches long
- Wind each end around your middle fingers. Grasp 1 to 2 inches of the floss with your index finger and thumb.
- Gently glide the floss in between the teeth in a sawing motion
- Angle the floss so it hugs the tooth in a C shape
- Gently slide the floss up and down the surface of the tooth making sure it goes slightly below the gumline.
- When done angle the floss to hug the tooth in the opposite direction and repeat the above
- Continue flossing the whole mouth
- As you move on to each tooth unwind the floss from your fingers and rewind it so there is a clean section of floss to use
- After flossing brush and rinse with water or mouthwash
Try to floss before every brushing but if you don’t have time in the morning make sure you make time before the final brush of the day.
So there you have it a simple guide to getting sparkling, healthy teeth. Now that’s something to smile about!