Split ends are a common hair problem, which happen when the cuticle of the hair is ripped from the hair fibres due to damage or excess heat. Once split ends happen they can't be repaired without being cut off but we can take steps to prevent them.
Here are some tips to avoid split ends:
- Try not to wash your hair every day
- When you wash it use lots of conditioner on the ends
- Use a deep conditioner once a month
- Blot hair dry with a towel don't twist it up into the towel or rough dry it
- Try to reduce the amount of heat styling you use on your hair so when you can let it dry naturally and don't use straighteners or tongs
- When using a hairdryer use a heat protecting spray beforehand
- Style carefully without tugging the hair
- Never use bands or clips that tug at the hair when putting hair up
- Sun can cause split ends so wear a hat to minimize damage
- Try and get a trim regularly - every six weeks is recommended
Hopefully our guide will take the stresses out of your tresses and your hair will be sleek and split free.