The computer communicates with the webcam through its own drivers and without these installed your camera won't function.
New webcams will usually come with a CD with the required drivers on it.
Installing drivers from a CD
Depending on the webcam instructions you will either place the CD into your CD or DVD drive then plug the PC camera into a USB port on your computer. Alternatively you will be instructed to plug in the webcam first and then insert the CD.
Finding and installing drivers if you don't have the CD
- Find the webcam manufacturer and model number - usually on the webcam or in its manual
- Do a search on the internet to find the compatible driver website, i.e. Logitech driver downloads
- Download the driver and save it to your desktop
- When the download is complete, ‘Run’ the file to install the driver
- The file will have an .EXE extension, which you double click and ‘Run’ to install the driver
Or the file may need to be extracted from a .Zip.
To extract the file
- Right-click the Zip file and select ‘extract to current folder’
- When it's finished extracting the files double click the ‘set up’ or ‘install’ button and click the run button
- When the driver has installed reboot your computer
See below to links to popular webcam manufacturers websites where you can download the drivers you may need:
Note: Drivers are regularly updated, so check occasionally for the newer versions.