This article assumes:
- That you have already setup an internet connection through a network provider
- That you have a plug-in receiver, and are ready to start using it
|How to install your new wireless receiver|
|Fixing connection problems|
|Re-installing a faulty receiver|
|Checking all components are working.|
- Take the receiver out of the box and look for any associated software (this is usually a CD or DVD-ROM).
- Install the software as instructed
- Insert the receiver into an available USB port on your PC or laptop
- Check to see if you're automatically connected to the network, by simply opening your browser window, i.e. Internet Explorer, and checking to see if you get an error message, or a webpage
If you get an error message, go to the Start menu, and from there select Network Connections
- Either; search for the name of your wireless network, e.g. Pete's home network and click on it, or click on Set up a wireless network and go through the steps as delineated by the Wireless Network Set up Wizard.
- You may be prompted for your network security key (located at the base or back of your Modem).
- Clicking on the Start menu, followed by Control Panel.
Search for the icon labelled Add or remove programs (see the image listed below) and click on it:
- A list will appear which includes all of the software programs your PC is currently running.
- Search for the name of your external wireless receiver from the list (see below).
- Right-click on the wireless receiver section, and then select Remove program.
- Make sure the cables are all plugged in
Check that the indicator light is bleeping on the wireless receiver (this is usually a continuous pattern; if no light is flashing it may be a sign that your receiver is not open to the signal being transmitted)
- Once the software has been uninstalled (this may take a few moments) proceed to re-install using the original CD/DVD-ROM.
- Open up your browser window, to check that the receiver had been properly re-installed, and is working in tandem with your current software to deliver an efficient wireless connection.