CARE PLAN faqs
Welcome to the Care Plan FAQS page.
Do you have any questions about registering your Care Plan online or want to know more about Care Plans in general? Click on one of the tabs below to find answers to the some of the most frequently asked questions.
Why should I register my Care Plan online?
Once you have registered on www.knowhow.com/protect, you’ll be able to:
- View your current Care Plans and look through the included benefits (this includes product protection bought through Mastercare and Tech Guys)
- View products you have purchased from Currys or PC World that are not currently protected by a Care Plan
- Buy a Care Plan for eligible products you have purchased from us
- Renew an existing Care Plan if it is ending soon
- Reinstate a Care Plan if it has recently expired
- Update your address and other contact details
How do I create an online Care Plan?
1. Go to www.knowhow.com/protect
2. You can register by either:
- Entering the reference number and your surname from the letter we sent you
- Typing your surname, and the receipt number, store number and purchase date from your Currys or PC World receipt
- If you don’t have any of the following, you can call us on 0344 561 1234 and our Knowhow team will be able to provide you with the information you need to register on the website
3. For help finding out the information above, click on the [icon] located on the registration page. When you have entered these details, click Continue.
4. Next, just fill in a few details about yourself and press Continue
Please note: Your username will be the email address you provided during registration. Please keep this handy for future reference.
I can’t remember my username or password – what do I do?
This will be the email that you registered with us. If you remember registering with us, but can’t remember the email address you used, please call our Knowhow team on 0344 561 1234.
Underneath the ‘Log in’ box on www.knowhow.com/protect, go to Click here to reset your password and instructions will be sent to the email address you registered with us. If you can’t remember the email address you registered with, please call us on 0344 561 1234 for support.
How to I change my bank details?
For security reasons, you can only change or update your bank details by phoning us on 0344 561 1234. Once your details have been changed, we will send you confirmation through the post.
I’ve registered but can’t see all the products I’ve purchased / protected with a Care Plan?
If it was a recent purchase, it can take up to 24 hours for products purchased from Currys or PC World to show in your online account.
Your products will only be listed if they:
- Are currently protected with a Care Plan
- Are not more than 12 months out of the manufacturer’s guarantee period
- Were previously protected by a Care Plan that has expired within the last 90 days
Another reason why your product might not be showing is because the details taken at time of purchase are different than the details you registered with. In some cases you may need to register separately for a different product. This can happen if we have more than one address on record for you, or if your name is recorded slightly differently i.e. J Smith rather than John Smith. If this is the case, you can register another account using the receipt details for your purchased product or you can call us on 0344 561 1234.
Won’t my product be covered under my household insurance?
Even if you have household insurance:
- You may not be covered for breakdown caused my mishaps or mechanical breakdown
- Portable products may not be protected
- Your annual premium may increase after your claim
- You may have to pay an excess
Can I buy product support from someone else?
Yes you can, but we recommend you compare what other companies offer as sometimes they will only cover the cost if your product has a mechanical fault and also may not be able to offer a speedy service.
You can compare extended warranties for domestic electrical goods at the website below, from any internet enabled mobile device, smartphone, PC or laptop:
Do I have to buy a Care Plan at the time of purchase?
You can buy protection for your product up to 12 months from purchase, but we won’t be able to offer a Care Plan on a product that has been damaged.
What happens if you can’t fix my product?
If we cannot readily and economically repair your product you will be given a voucher to obtain a replacement product in one of our stores. The value will be based on an equivalent or similar specification product up to a maximum of your original product purchase price.
If you receive a product replacement voucher
this Care Plan ends. You will receive a pro rata Care Plan refund
voucher which can be redeemed during the purchase of another Care
What is not included with my Care Plan?
- Regularly replaced items/consumable items, including built-in batteries, bulbs and lamps (except for bulbs used in rear projection TV)
- Cosmetic damage where it does not affect the operation or safety of the product
- Repair costs that have not been approved
- Damage or breakdown due to flood, wind or other severe weather conditions
- Damage or breakdown due to fire, unless caused by an electrical malfunction within the product
- Repair or replacement of the product which has been neglected, abused, misused, or damaged intentionally. You must take reasonable care of the product
- The cost of repairing or replacing a product which has been exposed to insect infestation (or similar phenomenon) or human or animal fluid/matter
- Any service or benefit where the Care Plan has been suspended
- Inoperability of a product caused by withdrawal of services by a third party or by a failure of, fault with or interruption of a utilities supply
- Software or data
- Image retention on plasma, LCD, LED, 3D or rear projection screens
- Theft or any loss suffered if you cannot use the product or any loss other than repair or replacement
- Cost of Data Recovery if unit needs to be sent to specialist laboratory
- Dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, cooking and laundry products if
used for business
How do I cancel my Care Plan?
If you pay monthly, you can cancel within 14 days of purchase by calling us on 0344 561 1234. Providing the service has not been used we’ll give you a refund on any payment made. After this period you can cancel at any time by calling us on 0344 561 1234, but please note that if you do this you will not receive a refund. If you have bought a 3 or 5 year term and are not completely satisfied, you can cancel it within 45 days of purchase. Please call us on 0344 561 1234 and if you haven’t used the service we’ll give you a full refund. If you want to cancel your agreement after 45 days from purchase you’ll be entitled to a pro rata refund.
You may also give notice of your intention to cancel your agreement by writing to us at: Knowhow Customer Services, PO Box 1686, Sheffield, S2 5YB, England
Calls charged at 5p per minute from a BT landline, calls from other networks’ may vary.
I have a problem with my Care Plan agreement – who can I contact?
We are confident that we will deliver on our promises, but if we do disappoint please call our Knowhow team on 0344 561 4000 so we can resolve your problem quickly.
When does my Care Plan expire?
If you have registered on our website www.knowhow.com/protect, you can view this by logging in and clicking on Protected Products.
If you haven’t registered for an online account you can see this information on the Care Plan card given to you at the time of purchase, or you can call us on 0344 561 1234 and we will be happy to help.
Where can I view the terms and conditions of my Care Plan?
You would have been supplied the terms and conditions at the time of purchase, but if you are unable to find this:
- Login or register at www.knowhow.com/protect and click on My Details. At the bottom of the page, place a tick next to “I would like to request a copy of the agreement documents” and click Continue.
- Alternatively, you can call us on 0344 561 1234